The added charge for common space is called CAM, or common area maintenance. For example, if office rents average $16 per square foot, and you rent 1,000 square feet, the total annual base rent is $16,000, or $1,333 per month. CAM charges could easily be $5 extra per square foot, or $5,000 more annually. In addition, you are charged on rentable square footage, not usable square footage, which means you pay a pro-rate share of all common area including lobby, hallways, restrooms and more. For more information on office leasing including CAM charges, read our article Office Market Trends.
Average Rent Prices:
- Industrial- $6 per square foot.
- Office- $17 per square foot.
- Retail-$15 per square foot.
- Shopping Centers- $13 per square foot.
Average Sale Prices:
- Industrial- $42 per square foot.
- Office- $94 per square foot.
- Retail-$97 per square foot.
- Shopping Centers- $89 per square foot.